Junior ISAs are a flexible, simple and tax-efficient way for your clients to save for their child’s future. Investments in a Junior ISA can only be accessed by the child when they reach the age of 18.
Tax rules for both Junior ISAs and ISAs may change in the future and their tax advantages depend on your individual circumstances.
The value of the fund's assets will go down as well as up. This will cause the value of your investment to fall as well as rise and you may get back less than you originally invested.
Junior ISAs are available to UK resident children who do not have a Child Trust Fund (CTF) account. However, Parents and Guardians now also have the choice to transfer a child’s existing CTF into a Junior ISA.
Should you already have a CTF account or want to invest more than the Junior ISA limit, there are alternative routes to access the long term growth potential through The M&G OEIC or The M&G Savings Plan.
A Junior ISA must be opened by someone with parental responsibility or legal guardianship for the child. This person will be the ‘Registered Contact’ for the account.
How do Junior ISAs work?
- The Registered Contact will have responsibility for the investment.
- You can invest up to £9,000 in a Junior ISA until the end of the 2020/2021 tax year.
- You can invest by regular monthly payments or a lump sum at any time.
- Anyone can gift or contribute money (including the child).
- You can switch from a cash Junior ISA to a stocks and shares Junior ISA and back again.
- When the child turns 16 they can choose to take control of their Junior ISA account.
- The money can only be accessed by the child when they turn 18.
- Investing in a Junior ISA will not affect your client’s own annual ISA allowance (£20,000 from 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021) and it doesn’t need to be declared on their personal tax return.
- Any returns the investment generates will be free from income and capital gains tax.
The M&G Junior ISA investment limits
|Investment minimums (per fund)
|By monthly Direct Debit
||By lump sum investment
|Initial amount of £10
||Initial amount of £500
|Top-up amount of £10
||Top-up amount of £100
The majority of M&G OEIC funds are available in the M&G Junior ISA.
Only the nominated share class for each fund is available for the majority of funds in The M&G Junior ISA
Charges and discounts
There are no entry or exit charges when you invest in The M&G Junior ISA. An ongoing charge will still apply, please see the relevant Key Investor Information Documents (KIIDs) for details.