Investing for children

There are many ways to invest for a child with M&G, either inside or outside The M&G Junior ISA.

M&G Junior ISA

Find out more about The M&G Junior ISA.

Find out more

The first and easiest option to choose when investing on behalf of a child is the tax-efficient Junior ISA, if the child is eligible.  However if you have already used their Junior ISA allowance for the tax year, or they do not qualify because they already have a Child Trust Fund (CTF), there are several other ways to access the long-term growth potential of the M&G fund range.  This can be done by:

  • investing in the child’s own name, if they are over 14 years of age
  • investing in your name, with a designation for the child, to transfer to their name when they reach 14 years of age
  • creating a bare trust

The value of stockmarket investments will fluctuate, which will cause fund prices to fall as well as rise and you may not get back the original amount you invested. ISA and Junior ISA tax advantages may depend on your individual circumstances and ISA and Junior ISA tax rules may change in the future.

However as these options are not tax-efficient, investors need to fully understand their obligations to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Investing in the child’s own name

Children can hold shares in a fund within The M&G Savings Plan (or directly in an M&G OEIC) in their own name, once they reach the age of 14.

Investing in your name, with a designation for the child

For younger children, shares can be registered in the name of an adult but designated for the child by adding, for example, their initials to the ‘designation’ field on the application form.  Once the child reaches the age of 14 the shares can be transferred into their name.

Designated accounts are not a legally binding arrangement.  If you are looking to add a more formal status (and legal standing) to an investment held on behalf of a child, you could choose to set up a bare trust.

Creating a bare trust

A bare trust is a formal and legally binding way of registering an investment you have made for someone else.

At M&G we believe that in order to avoid any potential tax issues it is wisest to make a formal declaration of trust to HMRC.  This can be arranged through a professional adviser, such as a solicitor, who normally draws up deeds.

Further information on investing on behalf of a child outside The M&G Junior ISA, including tax implications and further details on bare trusts, is available in our Investing for your Child’s Future brochure.

We don’t give financial advice, so you should speak to a financial adviser if you need help deciding if an investment is right for you.

Need further information?